So without any further delay, let us dive into this deep ocean called benefits of apricots and get ready to make informed choices at the grocers!
Raw or cooked, juicy or dried, sweetened or salted – Whatever may be the form, this yellow little fruit is a golden treasure trove of benefits. It would not be an understatement if we declare apricot one of the healthiest options that could grace your shelves. Just a 100 gram serving of straight off the plant apricots can give us up to 12 percent of Vitamin A, 12 percent of Vitamin C and 6 percent of potassium required by the body.
Nutritional benefits of Apricots
- Filled to the brim with Vitamin A (also known as retinol), apricots help immensely in the enhancement of vision. This vitamin also helps in keeping your immune system strong and functional. Vitamin A also helps in getting that clear, beautiful skin you have always dreamt of. Along with retinol, apricots contain Beta Carotene which helps in reducing the risk of a severe vision disorder called as Neovascular ARMD ie an age-related macular degeneration causing vision loss. Vitamin A also acts as an antioxidant.
- Fiber dripping out of this delicious fruit is just a health benefit too good to ignore. Dietary fibers keep the digestive system healthy and protect against many diseases like heart diseases, bowel cancer, diabetes, etc as they help in cutting down bad cholesterol levels while increasing good cholesterol levels. Fibers clean our intestines regularly and help us maintain an excellent gut condition.
- Another one from the many benefits of apricots is potassium whose content in the fruit matches the electrolyte levels in our body keeping our heart muscles pumping in order.
- Antioxidants like beta carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin are another strong suit of apricots. Antioxidants are present in abundance and they help in cell protection against pollution, UV damage, etc. On regular consumption, these help apricots in detoxifying your body.
Moreover, they help in slowing down the aging process and help you stay wrinkle-free and glowing naturally. Talk about a better skincare regime!
A group of polyphenol antioxidants is present in apricots called flavonoids, which have been shown to protect against illnesses, including diabetes and heart disease. The major flavonoids present in apricots are chlorogenic acids, catechins, and quercetin.
- Benefits of apricots are many, but the fact that it helps in preventing anemia, in the long run, makes it a must on your diet plan. In today’s world of iron supplements, non-heme iron present in apricots is a little slow to get assimilated in our bloodstream and hence stay for longer in our systems keeping the risks of anemia at bay. However, it is suggested that apricots be taken with Vitamin C source which will help to quicken up the absorption process of iron. Nonheme iron makes apricot a golden fruit for your blood
- Phytonutrients present in apricots can contribute to healthy and clear skin.
- Vitamin E is another shining stone in the treasure trove called benefits of apricots. It helps to keep your vision sharp and clear and also keeps your skin healthy.
- Calcium is yet another blessing apricots brings for us. Few bites of this soft, juicy fruit and your bones and teeth can be ensured of their calcium.
And the best part is yet to come. Calcium is not absorbed in the body efficiently without potassium. The good news id apricots has both calcium and potassium.
Other benefits of apricots
- Apricots are fat-soluble and are easily assimilated in your body, leading to efficient assimilation of nutrients.
- Apricots break down fatty acids which provide ease indigestion.
- Usually, 2 fresh apricots ( about 70 grams) provide:
Carbs: 8 grams
Protein: 1 gram
Fat: 0.27 grams
Fiber: 1.5 grams
Vitamin A: 8% of the Daily Value
Vitamin C: 8% of the Daily Value
Vitamin E: 4% of the Daily Value
Potassium: 4% of the Daily Value
With such amazing stats, apricots surely top the charts of healthy fruits.
- Apricots are naturally high in water, which contributes to health by regulating blood pressure, body temperature, joint health, and heart rate.
One cup (165 grams) of sliced, fresh apricots provides almost 2/3 cup (142 ml) of water.
Since most of us tend to be on the ignorant side when it comes to staying hydrated, it is good to have a bowl of this fruit to maintain water levels.
- Did you know that apricots can be your best after-workout buddy? Such amazing are the benefits of apricots! Since the fruit of the hour is rich in potassium and water, a nice serving of apricots after your sweaty workout sessions can help replenish both water as well as electrolyte levels in your body! So cool, right?
Now that we have gone through a huge list of benefits of apricots, the question of how easy is it to include apricots in your daily diet remains. Well, the answer is very easy indeed.
They can be eaten raw, cooked, beaten to a shake or whipped up in some yogurt or processed into yummy jams.
Remember, the seeds of apricots are inedible and make sure to throw them away. Or, maybe, plant them in a beautiful spot in your garden and let your loved ones grow happy and healthy from the wonderful, innumerable benefits of apricots!